Thursday, March 29, 2012

Matt Morrett: What I Learned from a “PhD Gobbler” Named Bubba

Pretty good article with Matt Morrett from the Outdoor Hub.  Matt was actually a person that inspired me when I was a teen, as I was just starting to get fired up about calling.  I went to a turkey calling seminar he did back in the late 80's in Upstate New York, and he blew me away with his skills as a caller - ESPECIALLY with his fly-down cackle!  ...I actually was the first person he called on during his question and answer session, and my question was: "Could you do that fly-down cackle again?!?!?!"  He did, and had everyone looking at each other in disbelief - it was the most accurate and realistic fly-down cackle any of us had ever heard other than from a turkey.  ...He's an unbelievable caller, and great turkey hunter!

I agree with everything he says here - both from a tactics standpoint, and from a behavioral standpoint.  Matt gives us all a great tip to keep in mind while we're out there this spring.

Matt Morrett: What I Learned from a “PhD Gobbler” Named Bubba