Friday, March 23, 2012

Jay Scott Outdoors: Arborglyphs-follow the signs

I saw this on Jay's site and it brought memories back of arborglyphs that I've found, so I thought I'd share it here.

Although I've only found a few like this one over the years, my most memorable one was actually a PAINTING on a very large aspen.  ...unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, and we didn't have "smart phones" back then, so I don't have any pictures of it otherwise I'd gladly post them - it was unreal.

I was in the middle of nowhere (or so I thought) in the central part of CO, and noticed something strange on the side of a large aspen.  Upon closer inspection, someone had painted an entire mountain scene on a roughly 8" by 8" patch of bark.  It was BEAUTIFUL - VERY well done, detailed, and fit the tree, aspen stand, and area, perfectly.  It was awesome.

For me, when I kill an elk in or around any aspens, I'll scratch a single profile of a 6 pt elk antler on the tree to remind me - someday should I pass by that spot again - of the elk and the memories I made in that place some time in the past.

Check out the link, and enjoy!  Hopefully you find one of these in your wanderings some crisp fall day. 

Jay Scott Outdoors: Arborglyphs-follow the signs