Thursday, February 2, 2012

Made in the USA...?


As I sat contemplating on how I would “introduce” the new Roe Hunting Resources Blog – The Straight Shot – over the past several weeks, I thought I’d try to come up with some eloquent way to impress you all with my literary skills and deep thoughts, but…well…that didn’t happen. I figured if the name of the Blog itself was going to be The Straight Shot, I ought to be pretty “straight” with the content and how I present it, so…let’s jump right in, shall we?

Made in the USA... How many discussions and opinions have been rendered regarding that little phrase?!?! I know, a BUNCH! But what I’ve been curious about these past couple of weeks is, how much stock do people put into the phrase, “Made in the USA” these days? We all say we want to buy good ol’ U.S. of A. products and merchandise, but when it comes down to it, do we? Should we? As we put the latest gee-whiz-bang widget down on the counter, and pull out our wallets and pocket books, did “Made in the USA” have a part in our decision to purchase that product, and if so – to what extent? If not, …why not?

Here’s why I ask…

Over the past year (and really over the last several weeks) – between the new gear from the trade shows, to my own personal quest to check out some new products that I, of course, have a need for – I’ve come across some products that have the ol’ “Made in the USA” “endorsement” stamped on them. Some of the products are of extremely high quality. Other products are of a quality that’s about on par with “foreign” made products. Others…well…let’s be nice and just say they were of a “lesser” quality than what made the original “Made in the USA” slogan so great. Ok… they were junk. As far as cost, some of the products are very expensive (…not accounting for quality just yet), some are a little more expensive, and still others are more in line with what everything else is being sold for in their “product class” these days.

All that got me to thinking… Made in the USA used to mean something – it used to stand for something. USA Steel and tools are two that come to mind; “back in the day” no one came even close to the quality that USA workers, and our technology, put out into the world marketplace. Medicine and healthcare are two others. …and NO I’m not talking about “universal healthcare”…that’s a different Blog. Or two.

Some of the “Made in the USA” products I’ve been looking at are highly technical, highly precise, pieces of machined and assembled products that exude every drop of what “Made in the USA” used to mean. But they’re expensive as sin! Other products are of decent quality, but again, they’re expensive as sin! Most of the “Made in the USA” products that are inexpensive, are inexpensive for a reason; they’re horribly made – in both design and manufacturing. But yet they stamp the “Made in USA” slogan on their packaging and in their advertising as though that’s the “Gold Seal of Approval” of why folks should buy their product.

I have to admit, I’m pretty torn; on one hand, I want to buy “Made in the USA,” but on the other, I need to be frugal with my money. I want to buy high quality products, but in some cases, manufacturers – shall we say – “abuse” the “Made in the USA” slogan and use it simply as a marketing tool to make up for a crappy product. I know we live in a “buyer beware” sort of world (…and I actually embrace that), but… really? Is this what we as consumers are left with?

How much more should I have to pay for a truly high quality product that, is truly, “Made in the USA?” The question, really, I guess, is how much more am I willing to pay?

If a product is truly “Made in the USA,” but has the same quality as something that’s made overseas, should I really pay more for it? Is it my “Patriotic duty” to buy it – and pay more for it?

But, if it’s a junk product, should “Made in the USA” make up for design and manufacturing “shortcomings” and justify its purchase? 

What do think? Let us know in the comments below.

To learn more about me, Chris Roe, and Roe Hunting Resources, go to http://RoeHuntingResources.com.